On September 12, 2001, could you have predicted what was going to happen during the next 10 years? Would you have had even an inkling?
In fact, on September 12, 2001, he recorded — in detail — exactly what was to happen from then until now. Here’s what he wrote:
The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now–with somebody–and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.
It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy.
We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once.
This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed–for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush….He will declare a National Security Emergency and clamp down Hard on Everybody, no matter where they live or why. If the guilty won’t hold up their hands and confess, he and the Generals will ferret them out by force.
In bullet points, here’s exactly what Hunter S. Thompson predicted that has so far proven true.
- No peace in our time. (There hasn’t been peace since before 9/11.)
- We will stay at war. (The war in Afghanistan is now the longest war in U.S. history, surpassing even Vietnam.)
- The enemy is mysterious. (The enemy has always been nebulous. Waging war on an idea — terror — virtually guarantees that war will continue for a very long time.)
- The war will be led by merciless fanatics. (We’ve got American Zionists on one side, Islamic Jihadists on the other.)
- It will be guerilla warfare without any front lines. (So far, the war has spread from Afghanistan to Iraq and threatens to spillover into Iran. Guerilla warfare in urban areas has been common.)
- We will target Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, or possibly all three. (He got two out of three right. Pakistan may still make the cut.)
- It will be an expensive war. (According to some sources, The War on Terror is the most expensive war in American history. No matter if it is or isn’t, we’ve now spent trillions.)
- George W. Bush will declare a National Security Emergency. (He did. And he also suspended habeas corpus by defining certain people as “enemy combatants.”)
- Bush will clamp down hard on everybody. (He created the Department of Homeland Security, endorsed secret phone tapping and other violations of human liberty.)
- He will ferret out of the guilty by force. (Yes, and also the innocent. Can you say Guantanomo?)
Never have I seen a more prescient analysis of what was to happen. And what makes it so amazing is that Thompson wrote it just one day after the Twin Towers collapsed.
Makes me wonder what Hunter S. Thompson would have predicted about the next 10 years if he were still alive today.